Thursday, December 04, 2008

If You Pray - Say One For This Family

A friend of mine told us of this family, friends of hers. So Sad. I pray that all 3 boys make it through. They are intubated and sedated right now. One boy was found under a bookcase and has some pancreatic injury. They are critical and prayers are much appreciated. Such a scary thing for parents to hear about and my worst fear! especially when they were smaller, how would we get all 3 out at the same time.

Triplets Rescued from Burning House in Bethesda

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1208/574800.html

BETHESDA, Md. - Fire and Explosive Investigators from the Montgomery County (web|news) Fire and Rescue Service believe a house fire that sent 2½-year-old triplet boys in to the hospital was accidental. One of the boys is now in critical condition, while the other two are in serious, but stable condition.

The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service believes the cause of the fire was electrical in nature and more than likely was due to a failure of electrical components associated with the hot tub, as nearby combustibles overheated and caught on fire.

The fire extended from the exterior to inside the house via several windows, as well as an attached wood frame porch. It is believed the fire smoldered and burned undetected for an extended period before being detected by the Nanny.

The family will be displaced and the damage is estimated at $500,000. Two family pet dogs also are believed to have survived, however, one is unaccounted for at this time. The house did not have smoke alarms.

Fire and rescue spokesman Pete Piringer says firefighters responded to 4806 Jamestown Road in Bethesda around 1:25 p.m. Wednesday after reports of heavy smoke coming from the back of a brick colonial house.

The housekeeper and nanny at the home, Rosa Monje, says she had just put the triplets down for a nap when she stepped out for some fresh air. That is when she noticed the giant flames. She rushed back into the home to alert the father who was on the computer upstairs.

Upon being made aware of the fire in the rear of the house, the father initially used a nearby garden hose in an attempt to extinguish the fire. While doing so, he called 911 at which time he attempted to re-enter the house to assist his three children who were sleeping upstairs. Due to the extreme heat and thickening smoke, he was unable to retrieve them.

With the fire still burning strong, firefighters went into the upstairs bedroom and rescued the three little boys from their cribs; two were taken out of a second floor window.

"It seemed to be a little while longer until they got the other boy out," said Judith Hackett, a neighbor.

"I've never seen or heard of any such disaster," said neighbor Nick Hill."[It's] just a tragedy."

The distraught father was treated for smoke inhalation and several burns on the scene. His three sons were rushed to Children's Hospital and are said to be suffering from serious burns and smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were injured, with steam burns, during the rescue attempt. They were transported to the MedStar Burn Unit at the Washington Hospital Center in D.C.

5 comments:

~ MJ ~ said...

This is awful to hear, especially around the holidays. Keep us updated on their condition if you can.

Ava and the Trips said...

That is such a sad story. I will say a prayer for these little boys.

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

I just read on a news report that the home had NO SMOKE DETECTORS! What???? In 2008 you have no smoke detectors but you have a jacuzzi, triplets and a nanny? I feel horrid and sick for the children but anger at the parents....

loren said...

This scares me so much! That's why I started testing the alarms at least once every 2 months.

I truly hope these boys all make it through okay. Can you imagine being the mother and being out of town when that happened???

Triplethefunplus2 said...

Jes - they had electric smoke detectors and I guess when the electric goes out, they don't work if the back-up batteries aren't kept updated. It's sad.